Famous Historical Markers
THE WESLEY OAK
"Not far from this spot stood the 'great tree' under which Charles Wesley had prayers and preached, March 14, 1736, the first Sunday after his arrival. There were about twenty people present, among whom was Mr. Oglethorpe. A year later, George Whitfield, appointed by the Bishop of London to serve as Deacon at Savannah and Frederica, wrote in his Journal (August 8, 1737): “In the evening we had public Prayers, and expounding of the second Lesson under a large tree, and many more present than could be expected.” A wooden cross made from a tree long designated as the Wesley Oak hangs on the wall of Christ Church near the pulpit."
DEEP SOUTH REGION
WILLIAM BARTRAM TRAIL
"In 1774 William Bartram came to Frederica. He explored St. Simons
noted the flora and beautiful live
St. Simons Council of Garden Clubs IN COOPERATION WITH The Oleander District of the Garden
Club of Georgia, Inc, AND The National Park Service
The Georgia Navy
"During the American Revolution four heavily-armed row galleys were constructed in Savannah for the Georgia Navy, all underwritten by the Continental Congress. In nearby Frederica River, beginning at dawn on April 19, 1778, Georgia galleys Lee, Washington, and Bullock, commanded by Colonel Samuel Elbert, attacked HM brigantine Hinchinbrook, the armed sloop Rebecca, and an armed watering brig. The British attempted to gain an advantage by moving down the river their ships grounded, were abandoned, an captured. This remarkable victory boosted patriot morale and delayed by more than eight months the British invasion of Georgia."
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Society Sons of the American Revolution, Coastal Georgia Historical Society, and Fort Frederica National Monument
ST. SIMONS ISLAND
"From March 9 – May 12, 1736, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leader to the colony of Georgia, visited Charles in April 1736, preaching in the storehouse. Charles returned to England. John ministered to the Fredericans in four trips before leaving “with an utter despair of doing good there” on January 26, 1737.
After John's return to England, in May 1738 the brothers had “heart warming experiences” and later founded the Methodist movement."
CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
"This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February 1736. the Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel of Christ Episcopal Church, Savannah, also served this mission. Under the name of St. James, this was one of the eight original parishes established in 1758. After the Revolution, this and other churches which had been served continuously by clergymen of the Church of England formed the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. Christ Church was incorporated by the State Legislature in 1808 and given a glebe of 108 acres; and in 1823 was one of th three parishes organizing the diocese of Georgia. The first Church built on this property in 1820 was almost destroyed during the War Between the States. The present building was erected on the same site in 1884."
CHRIST CHRUCH CEMETERY
"Here are buried former Rectors of Christ Church and their families, the families of early settlers and of plantation days, officers of the British Army, and soldiers of every war in which our country fought. The oldest tombstone is dated 1803 but it is believed that there were a number of burials here before that time."